As our age creeps up and gravity takes its toll, the fashions that we once lived in may not be as comfortable or as forgiving as they once were. As our bodies continue to change some of us continue to squeeze into the same clothes, while others start believing that those faux pas fashions we swore we would never wear, really aren’t a stereotype of aging we thought they were in our 20’s. Fortunately there are some easy ways to look younger without going overboard.
- YOU’VE CHOSEN THE WRONG GLASSES The face is our first card. If you need to wear glasses, do not buy the first pair of frames that comes your way. The price must not be the first argument for choosing a frame, but the way you look with glasses. Study fashion magazines and see what glasses models fit your physiognomy. Do not avoid bolder frames. Do not hide your eyes!
- DRESS AGE APPROPRIATELY While your legs and stomach may still look great, flaunting them in mini skirts and open midriffs will draw attention to your age. Although stylish dressing is one sure way of looking younger, dressing like a teenager will have the opposite effect. Draw attention to your best features with chic instead of flaunt.
- WATCH OUT FOR STUMPY SHOES Platforms are still popular, but not necessarily a good choice for you if you passed 30 years and 60kg. choose slim variant for your shoes (When in doubt, a 1 – 2-inch heel can give you the look without the displeasure).
- DRESS YOUR SIZE Clothing that is too big will make you look frumpy, while clothing that is too small will show any extra ‘flesh’ (pounds) you may be trying to hide. Buy items to fit the largest part of your body, then have them altered to fit the smaller areas.
- SCARVES You seem really cool wearing a silk scarf around your neck, but apart from the fact that you look like a stewardess in the 60s, this is a fixed accessory for the 60s. A scarf can be cool, but instead of wearing it on the neck, you can connect it to your bag handles (contrasting color) or you can turn it into a silk bracelet. Also beware of small brooches worn on the lapel. If you are a fan of brooches, choose some oversized ones and use it to complete a jacket or a skirt.
Whether we like it or not, the choices we make will have an impact on how we are seen and ultimately how we will feel. Aging doesn’t have to mean dated or old. Balancing comfort with fashion will ensure that you continue to appear youthful and stylish.